Sunday, March 20, 2011

STAMP OUT CANCER with Team Rosemary's Wish

Makayla, Alex, Mom (Rosemary) and Brett
As you may have seen from my Valentines Post, my mom was told she was cancer free six years ago on Valentines Day.  In addition to this being a very tough time for my mom, it was for all of us who love her too.  I brought my mom to Chemotherapy and to the "Look Good, Feel Good" program put on by the American Cancer Society.  My son came with us too, he was 7 months old at the time.  We tried to keep Grammy occupied and laughing.  We bought her popsicle's for the horrible aftertaste of Chemo and brought her a bucket and aphgan when she was on the couch.
It was not easy at all, but we were the lucky ones.  We were lucky to keep her and she was lucky to beat it. 

Much of that is due to the American Cancer Society and all of it's wonderful programs and research.  The other part is due to my mom and her positive attitude throughout.  The doctors told her it makes all the difference when fighting this hideous disease.  I believe it.
After mom had finished her surgeries, chemo and radiation and after seeing everything that the ACS did for her, I wanted to give back.  Give back to the people that let me have my mom back.  That's when I discovered the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life.

The Relay for Life is a life-changing event that gives everyone in communities across the globe a chance to celebrate the lives of people who have battled cancer, remember loved ones lost, and fight back against the disease. At the Greater Southbridge Relay, teams of people camp out at a McMahon Field and take turns walking or running around the track. Each team is asked to have a representative on the track at all times during the event. Because cancer never sleeps, our Relay is an overnight event lasting 20 hours.
Mike, TJ and Dad
Although every Relay For Life is different, there are certain traditions at all Relays, no matter where they are held. These traditions help participants celebrate, remember, and fight back. For more information on Relay, click here
I created a team in honor of my mom called "Rosemary's Wish" and have been a team captain for 6 years now.  Every year we have new and old faces joining the team to help sell our now famous sausage grinders, meatball grinders and 4:30 AM (not kidding) egg sandwiches.  
 In addition to selling our grinders, we also have fundraising events.  This year we will be "STAMPING OUT CANCER"!  See the flyer below.  I hope you will be able to join us at either event and spread the word.  I can personally vouch for the local events and research done by the ACS that it is money well spent (as well as a tax donation for you).

Mom is now cancer free and we are excited to be getting to Relay again.  Thank you if you have supported us in the past and if not, I hope you will consider it this year!
Mom and my brother Mike, with Dad clapping in the background.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...